Vertical gardening is a great way begin gardening at home. Let’s make a DIY garden tower so you can begin growing your own delicious food right in your own backyard or patio.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
There are many garden towers online for purchase and the GreenStalk garden tower is the most popular. These towers are pricey, at about $150-200. Now don’t get me wrong, these are made very well and will stand up to outdoor climate much better than my DIY version, but if you are looking for an inexpensive way to start a vertical garden space, then this project is for you.
Why vertical gardening?
Vertical gardening is a technique of growing plants in a vertically inclined surface, instead of horizontally on the ground. There are several reasons why vertical gardening has become increasingly popular in recent years:
- Space-saving: Vertical gardening allows you to grow plants in a small space by utilizing vertical surfaces, such as walls, fences, and trellises. This is especially useful in urban areas where space is limited.
- Increased yield: By growing plants vertically, you can increase the yield per square foot of growing space. This is because plants can be spaced closer together and grow taller without competing for space.
- Improved air circulation: Vertical gardening allows for better air circulation around the plants, which can reduce the incidence of diseases and pests.
- Aesthetics: Vertical gardening can be used to create beautiful green walls, living art installations, and other visually striking displays.
- Accessibility: Growing plants vertically can make them more accessible to gardeners with limited mobility or those who have difficulty bending over to tend to ground-level plants.
- Environmental benefits: Vertical gardening can help to reduce the urban heat island effect and improve air quality by absorbing pollutants and carbon dioxide.
How to grow in a vertical garden
- First, select a location that gets a lot of sun exposure and is conveniently accessible.
- Select plants that grow well in containers such as strawberries, lettuce, and herbs.
- Provide plenty of water to keep your plants well hydrated.
To make my garden tower, gather the following supplies:
- 5-foot T-post
- 12 large tri-stackable planters (found at Dollar Tree)
- Hole punch, small phillips screwdriver, or other means to punch out drainage holes in planters
- 2 1/8″ hole saw drill bit
- Potting soil
- Plants such as strawberries, lettuce mix, or herbs
How to assemble a vertical gardening tower
- Invert the planters and punch out the drainage holes. The Dollar Tree planters have 3 circles with an X in the middle.
- Using the 2 1/8 hole saw, CAREFULLY cut a hole in the middle of the whole planter. This hole drill is the perfect size for the large Dollar Tree planters. The planters crack easily, so take it slow.
- Stake the T-post into the ground at least an inch below the bottom wing of the post.
- Thread one planter over the T-post and level on the ground.
- Fill planter with potting soil.
- Thread the next planter over the post and position on top of the first planter at a staggered layer. The bottom grooves on the planter should fit nicely over the other.
- Continue to layer the planters and fill with potting soil until you’ve reached the top.
- Plant your favorite vegetables, flower, or herbs and give the tower a good watering.
Building a vertical gardening tower is a fun and creative DIY project that can help you maximize your gardening space and grow more plants in a small area. With a few basic materials and some simple tools, you can create a tower that is both functional and aesthetically pleasing. A vertical gardening tower can also be a great way to get creative with your gardening and enjoy the benefits of fresh produce, even if you have limited space. With a little time and effort, you can create a beautiful and functional tower that will bring you joy for years to come.
I love this idea!!