Welcome to the world of warmth and flavor, where comfort meets culinary delight – broccoli cheddar soup. Today, I embark on a savory journey exploring the goodness of this classic favorite. Whether you’re a culinary enthusiast or a novice in the kitchen, this blog is your guide to creating a bowl of creamy, cheesy perfection.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.Jump to Recipe
The Allure of Broccoli Cheddar Soup
There’s something magical about the combination of tender broccoli florets and the rich, gooey goodness of cheddar cheese. It’s a pairing that transcends seasons, providing a sense of comfort on chilly evenings and a burst of flavor on brighter days. The vibrant green hue of broccoli melding with the golden embrace of melted cheese creates a visual symphony that’s as delightful to the eyes as it is to the taste buds.
Why broccoli cheddar soup?
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s explore why Broccoli Cheddar Soup has earned its place as a beloved classic. From its velvety texture to the harmonious blend of broccoli and cheddar, this soup transcends seasons, offering a cozy escape in every spoonful.
- Broccoli is loaded with vitamins C, K, potassium, and fiber which all improve digestion, reduce inflammation, and boost immunity.
- Cheddar cheese is packed full of calcium for bone health and muscle maintenance.
The Search for the Perfect Recipe
The internet is brimming with broccoli cheddar soup recipes, but I’ve done the legwork to bring you a tried-and-true gem. My recipe strikes the perfect balance of simplicity and flavor, ensuring that even kitchen novices can create a bowl of culinary bliss.
Ingredients for Success
To make broccoli cheddar soup you will need the following ingredients:
- Fresh broccoli and carrots
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Butter, flour, chicken broth, milk
- Onion, garlic
- Paprika and mustard powder for a flavor kick.
- These simple elements come together to create a symphony of taste that will have you coming back for seconds.
How to make broccoli cheddar soup recipe
- In a large heavy bottom stockpot, melt 4 tbsp of butter.
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook about 1 minute longer.
- Add flour to the pot, mix and cook until the rawness of the flour is gone, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in chicken stock and mix well until there are no lumps of flour.
- Slowly whisk in half and half.
- Add broccoli, carrots, paprika, and mustard powder.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about 25 minutes or until broccoli and carrots are fork tender.
- At this point, you can blend with an immersion blender for a fine texture soup, or leave broccoli whole for a chunkier soup. I like to blend most of the soup and leave some larger pieces.
- Add the FRESHLY shredded cheddar cheese to the soup and blend well.
- Check seasonings and add salt and pepper if needed.
What to serve with broccoli cheddar soup
Serve your soup with a nice side salad, like my delicious kale salad and breadsticks. For an extra dose of yummy comfort, may I suggest serving your soup in a homemade bread bowl. Talk about comfort! Of course, this soup is also hearty enough to stand alone for a complete meal.
Storing your soup
Store leftover soup in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. I would not recommend freezing the soup due to the dairy contents and freezing may cause separation.
As you savor each spoonful of this homemade broccoli cheddar soup recipe, relish in the joy of creating a comforting masterpiece in your own kitchen. Whether enjoyed on a rainy day or shared with loved ones, this classic recipe is bound to become a staple in your culinary repertoire. So, gather your ingredients, don your apron, and let the aroma of broccoli and cheddar fill your kitchen with warmth and satisfaction.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- large heavy bottom stock pot
- sharp knife
- Cheese shredder
- measuring cups/spoons
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups half and half
- 2-3 cups broccoli flowerets
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, FRESHLY shredded
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large heavy bottom stockpot, melt 4 tbsp of butter over medium heat
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes
- Add garlic and cook about 1 minute longer
- Add flour to the pot, mix and cook until the rawness of the flour is gone, about 2 minutes
- Whisk in chicken stock and mix well until there are no lumps of flour
- Slowly whisk in half and half
- Add broccoli, carrots, paprika, and mustard powder. Season with salt and pepper
- Simmer over medium heat for about 25 minutes or until broccoli and carrots are fork tender
- Turn off heat. At this point, you can blend with an immersion blender for a fine texture soup, or leave broccoli whole for a chunkier soup. I like to blend most of the soup and leave some larger pieces.
- Add the FRESHLY shredded cheddar cheese to the soup over low heat and blend well.
- Check seasonings and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately